Thursday, August 12, 2010

Synchronicity and the Power of Love

June 21,2010


It's amazing how the last month has just flown by.  I just got back from volunteering at the Chopra Center seminar, SynchoDestiny in Taos, NM.   The seminar is based on Deepak Chopra's book,The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire: Harnessing the Infinite Power of Coincidence.  The fact that I was at the event itself was synchronistic.  

Since the event was held in Taos and I live in Santa Fe, which is only an hour and a half from Taos, I was planning on attending but then decided to use my resources to continue my studies in Ayurveda by enrolling in the Ayurvedic Consultant Training Program at the Chopra Center.  Five days before the event was to begin I received an email from the Center asking me if I was interested in volunteering since they had one volunteer who had to cancel at the last minute.  I wasn't doing anything last week so I decided to do it.  I lived in Taos in the mid-70's and early '80's and it would be fun to stay a few days up there.  I guess I was meant to be there.

An unbelievable announcement was made the second day I was there.  We were told by the Chopra Center staff that Dr. David Simon, co-founder of the Chopra Center, had been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor and was scheduled for surgery on Thursday, June 17.  Everyone was devastated.  Dr. Simon is the medical director and guiding light of the Chopra Center.  He is a teacher and mentor to many of us following the path of Ayurveda.  This could not be happening.  The staff was clearly upset and unsure what the future would bring.  However, Dr. Chopra and 107 guests were about to descend on the El Monte Segrado Resort in Taos.  The "show must go on".

What happened next pulled everyone together and made it possible for us to carry on.  Deepak Chopra, who has been a close, personal friend of David Simon for over 30 years and co-founded the Center with him announced to the staff that he would cancel his travel schedule for the rest of the year and he made a personal commitment to them to attend every event and fill in for David at the Center so that he could recover and not have to worry about anything.  This announcement changed the whole mood and the staff felt confident that all would be well.

A website was created to support Dr. Simon in his life challenge,www.lovefordavid.com.  Thousands of prayers, good wishes, jokes, funny stories and stories about how David has touched peoples lives started to flood in.  The result, David came out of surgery strong, and ready to resume his work at the Chopra Center as soon as July 9 for the program, 
Free to Love
.

I first attended a Chopra Center event over 3 years ago and as an Ayurvedic Lifestyle Instructor, I proudly share the timeless teachings of Ayurveda with people here in New Mexico and wherever I go.  My experience this past week has reinforced for me the power of love and its ability to heal.

If you feel moved to help David Simon in his recovery, then all you have to do is tell the people in your life how much you love and appreciate them.  

Peace, harmony, laughter, healing and love,
Karen   

No comments:

Post a Comment